Friday, November 9, 2012
Equipment needed to make sure elderly have heat.
The Housing Authority and selectmen want no repeat of last year’s scenario, when senior citizens and handicapped residents living in the town’s Woodland Meadows complex went without power for days after Hurricane Irene hit. Housing Director Andrea Downey told selectmen Wednesday the board is seeking a generator large enough to provide heat to the Woodland Meadows common room and power to the septic system lift station. “During storms everyone gets a little panicked,” said Downey, adding if the common room was powered, it would provide a warm and lighted area during storms that appear to be getting more severe in recent years. The complex provides 144 units of housing, mostly for elderly residents, but also for handicapped younger people…
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Smoke emitted from generator limited to custodial space, no one injured.
This morning the fire department responded to a call to Norton High School for smoke in the custodial area. According to Principal Raymond Dewar, the water pump from the generator broke. Upon investigation, the fire department found that building backup power generator overheated while running on regular maintenance cycle. It overheated to a point where it created smoke and shut down. The fire department cleared the smoke and took the generator of the automatic start. "We are having it fixed. Not sure how much damage [has been] done. Hoping not to replace [the] generator at this time. Probably will not have to," he said. Though teachers were unable to enter the building at first, school was not delayed, and no one was injured.