The incident came the day after an Attleboro woman was cited for disturbing the peace when she attempted to gain access into JS Solmonese - an incident that sent that school into a lockdown.
Did Yelle take the appropriate action on Friday? Norton Patch Facebook users reacted. Here are a few responses:
- Michael O'Sullivan This makes no sense? An old lady w a cane politely knocks and ASKS PERMISSION to use a bathroom and that Causes a lock down? Can someone please tell me why? I could understand if ah forces her way in or was acting strange but this lady probly needs a bathroom break every 15 mins so this is far from strange
- Melissa Marsolais Everyone is surley entitled to their opinions. But I strongly disagree. Every precaution is necessary! I want my kids safe not sorry. "Probably"?? Not good enough.
- Jim Peers Michael, the school staff and administration are spooked today due to Columbine, Sandy Hook, and more recently Sparks, NV and the murder of a teacher in Danvers, MA - honestly, I'd be spooked to - they are following proper protocol to keep the kids safe - nothing wrong with it.
- Joan Mazzaferro Melissa, my youngest of three just started high school. Violent acts have been an issue for years. We all put our children forth knowing that the unknown is waiting. One mustn't wake up each day in fear. Precautions are in place, but common sense is going completely out the window, and our humanity is being undermined. Keep your humanity.
- Jamie Whitten If she needed to use the bathroom there is a honey dew across the street. The school did the right thing and this was the second time in one week this has happened with someone asking to use the bathroom but at the JCS school.. very strange if you ask me.
- Melissa Marsolais Common sence and humanity?.Come on..In todays world, to say," shouldn't take precautions" is absurd! "Going on for years"? Indeed, however, Evolution. Learn from past mistakes. Humanity? Don't you worry about lil ol me, I got that right
- Holly DeLano Admittedly, it is extremely odd. The JCS lockdown was def warranted. The older woman who never gained access, with a cane, possibly some dementia at the Yelle??? I'm not sure a full lockdown was necessary. All doors are locked. Heard someone say maybe a "soft" lockdown could have been applied. Don't know what that entails. It is a new day, and people are learning as they go. At one time, all three of my children occupied different school buildings in town and it would have NEVER occurred to me to walk up to the door and enter to use the facility. Extremely odd. We learn as we go....
- Wendy Heichelbech You can never be to safe. My daughter has gone to 2 schools that have had shootings. She was not there either time.
- Jean Conrad Lucier Was it the same woman? Kind of funny how this happened yesterday too.
- Karen Hart-stlaurent Praising norton schools keeping our kids safe
- John Francis If a stranger was acting all weird and suspicious in my backyard while the kids were home I "might" call the police but if an old woman with a cane was walking up the driveway I don't think so. It's the one size fits all approach/mentality. Everyone just goes in Catch-22/CYA mode. Better safe than sorry.
- Cynthia Pultz Wells I dont like that it was kinda the same scenario with two different schools, They did the right thing. Anyone can have negative intentions, and if something bad happened and they didnt put it on lockdown we would all be bashing the school
- Suzanne Farrell Diercksen Very proud of the school being prepared with a plan.