Low Temps Spark Tips for Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Poisioning

Staying warm needn't mean encountering the silent killer that carbon monoxide is. Follow these tips to be sure you don't let carbon monoxide invade your home.

With sub-freezing nighttime lows forecast for many areas in Southern California through Monday morning, the Los Angeles Fire Department joined the Southern California Gas Co. today in reminding the public of safety tips to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide exposure.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater or a carbon monoxide leak from another source. Symptoms can include nausea, headaches and paralysis.

Here are tips to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

-- Never use a gas oven, portable barbecue or range for space heating;

-- carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater. Have natural gas furnaces checked at least once a year by a licensed heating contractor or the Southern California Gas Co.;

-- vacuum and clean regularly in and around the furnace, particularly around the burner compartment to prevent a build-up of dust and lint; and

-- never store items in, on or around the appliance that can obstruct airflow.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »