Hurricane Sandy was the cause of two fires Monday, with one on Reservoir Street and the other on Freeman.
At approximately 3:46 Monday, Norton Fire Department found a large tree down on top of the power lines across Reservoir Street. That initially blocked access to the driveway of 166 Reservoir St.
The resident was evacuated from the home but was not injured.
“We arrived on scene and found smoke coming out of the cellar of the house and also from the unattached garage,” said Deputy Chief Dave Myles. “Upon further investigation, we found smoldering wires at the cellar electrical panel and the electrical panel in the garage.”
The Fire Department also found the main power line pulled away from the house. As a result, they notified the electric company. Though they had initially had problems accessing the scene, the power was eventually cut. An electrical inspector was then called to the scene to evaluate the home’s electrical system.
Electrical damage estimates and information on the Freeman Street fire are not available at this time.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something