Another Norton couple has been displaced due to a fire that broke out in a Crane Street garage Tuesday night. No one was injured.
At about 8:15 p.m., Lou Tenore let his dogs outside. When he went back inside, he thought he smelled his wife baking. When she said she was not, he shrugged it off thinking he may have a cold. Around 9 p.m. they heard a loud bang, thinking it may have been their cat knocking something over. Tenore checked it out and saw smoke in the corner of his garage. He told his wife to get the fire extinguisher and call 911. While she was doing that, Lou backed their two cars out of the garage, one of which started to catch fire.
The Fire Department determined that the fire started in the attached two-car garage via an electrical switch in the storage room above garage and attic. It didn’t take long for Norton Fire Department to put out the fire initially, but it sparked up again. Heavy rapid fire spread due to only partial ceiling into garage allowing spread into attic.
Norton Police Department was first on the scene reporting fully involved garage and assisted the residents out. All occupants were out of the home upon Norton Fire Department’s arrival. The last engine cleared at 4:21 a.m.
“They were here in good time and contained it,” Tenore said of the fire department. “Whatever they did, it worked.”
Lou, his wife and pets did not sustain any injuries from the fire, though they could not find their cat until this morning. The fire was contained to the garage area, but the home is uninhabitable at present time. They are not seeking donations.
Attleboro, Mansfield and Easton Fire Departments responded to the call as well. Taunton and Rehoboth Fire Departments covered the Norton station.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something