Last week, Norton Patch's new Patch Picks feature listed local librarians’ choices for kids and adults for National Read Across America Day. This week, we are getting campy.
1. Registrations are open for the 2011 SMARTS Summer Institute. The summer program offers young people, grades kindergarten through 12, with an opportunity to explore their creative potential under the guidance of dynamic professional artists from around the region. Students explore creative writing, dance, drama, film/video, instrumental, vocal and/or visual arts through process and performance. The program runs July 5 to 29. SMARTS also offers two immersion programs for students grades 7 through 12. Music Boot Camp, for instrumentalists includes recording studio time and runs July 5 to 22. Drama/Film/Video Intensive runs July 11 to 22. Also offered is a Before and After Care program. Need-based scholarships are available. For information call 508-222-8484 or visit www.smartscollab.org.
2. A free Fitness Boot Camp session will be held Saturday, April 2, 1 to 2 p.m. or 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. at Everett Leonard Park, Norton. Registration will be on-site for spring's first boot camp, starting the following week lasting, six weeks (12 sessions over six weeks). For more information visit www.FittobePersonalTraining.com.
3. The Mansfield Park & Recreation Department will begin accepting non-residential registrations for Summer Camp on Monday, April 11 in the Recreation office at Town Hall. Camp begins on July 5, and runs for eight weeks to Aug. 26. Camp serves children ages 5 to 12, with Leader in Training and Counselor in Training programs for 13 to 16 year-olds who have previously attended camp. You may register for one to eight weeks, your choice. Basically, the camp fee per week is $130. Camp hours are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., with an option for extended care. There will be one half-day and one full-day field trip each week. These activities are an additional charge but not all campers go on trips. For more information or to receive a camp brochure and registration form, e-mail email@example.com or call 508-261-7384.
4. Everwood Day Camp, 125 Lakeview St., Sharon, is holding an open house 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be games, crafts, a magician, giveaways, a moonwalk, snacks and drinks and tours by the camp directors. Play outside in the GaGa Pit or stay warm inside the 8,000 square foot heated main lodge. This event is open to all. A gift will be available for those who enroll for the summer at the open house. For more information visit http://www.everwooddaycamp.com, call 781-694-5829 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Maplewood Country Day Camp & Enrichment Center, 150 Foundry St., Easton, is holding camp registration. There will be an open house Saturday, March 19, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Camp will run Aug. 22 to 26, Sundays and Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be Soccer Camp, Basketball Camp and Traditional Summer Camp. For more information visit http://www.maplewoodyearround.com, call 508-238-2387 or 508-238-6758 or e-mail email@example.com.