Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Today will be sunny, with a high near 58. West wind will be between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 33. West wind will be between 5 and 10 mph.
2. Norton Youth Baseball Softball will be holding the annual opening day festivities today. Activities will be held at starting at 8 a.m. and live baseball will be played at burchill starting at 1 p.m. with opening ceremonies at 12.30 p.m. Norton Parks and Recreation will be collecting shoes. Write a note on the sole of old shoes, drop them in the designated boxes and watch them as they travel the globe.
3. Like many area towns and cities, will be participating in the National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This program, sponsored by the Drug Enforcement Administration, provides for the safe disposal of accumulated and unwanted prescription medications. During that time, area residents are encouraged to turn in their unwanted medications at their local participating police department. The Norton Police Department will be one of the drop-off sites for the program.
4. Norton Public Library will go geocaching 10:30 a.m. today. Join experienced geocachers as they explain how to participate in the fun, as well as share their stories. A short presentation will be followed by a question and answer period. Weather permitting, you will then head outside to find a real geocache hidden on the library grounds. Geocaching is high-tech treasure hunting. Simply program coordinates into a GPS (or Smartphone app), find the cache (a container filled with small items) and sign the notebook. If you choose to take something from the cache, be sure to leave something in its place for future
finders. Light snacks will be provided.
5. The School on Wheels Massachusetts’ Outrunning Homelessness Race and Fun Walk will take place at Borderland State Park in North Easton today. Registration will open at 8 a.m., and the race will begin at 9 a.m. Maplewood is inviting friends to join in this 5K run or two-mile walk. All proceeds will support School on Wheels Massachusetts, which provides academic support and one-on-one mentoring to children affected by homelessness. To join the Maplewood team, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something