Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Today there is a 90 percent chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 4 p.m. Patchy fog is expected before 8 a.m. The temperature high will be near 67. East wind will be between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible. Tonight there is a 60 percent of showers and possibly a thunderstorm. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
2. Norton Parks and Recreation will hold the annual Kid's Fishing Derby at 166 John Scott Blvd., 7 to 11 a.m. This year there will be no charge for the event and there will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies for the biggest fish and the most fish caught. Dew Drops juice will be available. Bring your own bait.
3. Sturdy Memorial Hospital will host the 17th annual Cancer Survivors Day from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Elks Lodge, 887 S. Main St., Attleboro. It will include a continental breakfast, reflections on survivorship, guest speaker Dr. Tom Hayes, recognition of all cancer survivors, lunch, laughter yoga, music, prizes and more. For more information call 508-236-8020.
4. Click here for the latest police logs.
5. For news highlights from around the area, tune in this afternoon for our Region Roundup.