Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. High near 77, low around 57
Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Calm wind will become south around 6 mph in the morning. Patch fog is expected between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. tonight. Otherwise, it will be partly cloudy, with a low around 57.
The in Norton is hosting from Karl Bock at 8 p.m. on Sunday. Come down and belt out your favorite tunes!
3. Free wellness exam for pets
Stop by North Attleboro Animal Clinic, 375 E. Washington St., from 2 to 4 p.m. for a free wellness exam for healthy pets to get their vaccination and routine care they need. Call 508-216-3517 to book appointment.
4. Drive safe this Labor Day weekend!
The nation’s roadways are expected to be busy this Labor Day weekend, with everyone celebrating the unofficial end of summer. But holiday weekends also usually see a spike in traffic accidents, so Amica Insurance reminds motorists to stay alert and use extra caution.
Here are a few reminders:
- Don’t drink and drive. Make sure you have a designated driver.
- Wear your seatbelt at all times.
- Avoid distracted driving. Many states now ban the use of hand-held cell phones and/or texting while driving.
- Don’t speed or drive carelessly.
- Take frequent breaks and remember to stop if you’re tired.
- Slow down for road construction and beware of detours.
If you are in an accident, remain calm, turn your hazard lights on and pull off the road, if it is safe to do so. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately.
Here are a few other tips if you are involved in an accident:
• Contact emergency personnel.
• Give the police your version of what happened. Always ask for the police officer’s name, department and incident number.
• Exchange information with the other vehicle’s owner and obtain contact information from passengers and/or witnesses.
• Take photos and videos of the scene if it’s safe to do so.
Amica.com also offers an accident checklist you can print and keep in your car, St. Onge said. It’s also available on the Amica mobile app.
5. Looking for a home in the area?
Check out , our weekly list of open houses in the region. It’s posted every Saturday morning.