Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Cheryl Warren-Powers Memorial Basketball Tournament
The Wheaton Lyons women’s basketball team will host the Cheryl Warren-Powers Memorial Tournament at 2 p.m. This is a fundraiser in memorial to Cheryl Warren-Powers '95, who passed away in May of 2012. Donations will benefit the Little Angels of Warren-Powers Fund to help support Cheryl's twins, Jordan and Craig. For more information visit www.wplittleangels.com.
2. Winter move-in special at EPOCH of Norton
This winter at EPOCH Assisted Living of Norton, seniors are invited to stay for a worry-free snowy season, and to receive a full month of free accommodations while the snow flies. Instead of worrying about losing power, heating costs and shoveling sidewalks you can enjoy three meals a day, transportation services, a furnished apartment, on-site maintenance and daily entertainment. Pay for three months and the fourth is free. For more information call 508-285-3355.
3. Home for Little Wanderers fundraiser
Come to the flag-ship Fanautical store at Patriot Place and support the The Home for Little Wanderers. The Home will receive 10 percent of all sales from the event. You may also shop online and write The Home in the comments section. For more information visit www.befanautical.com.
4. Amica Insurance warns car buyers to beware of used cars damaged by Sandy
Thousands of cars were damaged by Superstorm Sandy, and officials are concerned that some of these may be sold to unsuspecting consumers in coming weeks and months. Amica Insurance has five tips to help consumers spot water-damaged cars:
- Check the title history of the vehicle by running it through a commercially available service or the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s VINCheck to see whether they have been reports of flood damage. https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck
- Check the engine compartment, door panels and under the rugs inside the vehicle for signs of water and grit from submersion, as well as water residue and rusting.
- Inspect the dashboard, trunk, carpets and upholstery for signs of dried mud and residue, as well as any mold or musty odors.
- Look for rust on screws on the console or other areas that normally wouldn’t come in contact with water, unless submerged. Check the wiring system for rusted components, water residue or corrosion.
- Check the undercarriage of the car for signs of rust and flaking that aren’t normally present in late-model cars.
Today will be sunny, with a high near 51. North wind will be 5 to 7 mph. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 30 and light north wind.