Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Friends of the Library book sale
The Friends of the Norton Public Library are holding their annual spring book sale through May 11. Proceeds go to the library for materials such as museum passes, movies, music and books and a variety of programs for all ages. Times are as follows:
Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Thursday: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. - $3 a bag
Spring-a-Ding Storytime will start 10:30 a.m. for all ages.
2. Welcome Wednesdays at New Testament
New Testament hosts tours every Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Meet some of the staff and learn about what goes on within the school. For reservations call 508-285-9771. For more information visit www.newtestamentschool.org.
3. Trust Your Brilliance program
Join Lighten-Up Wellness, 129 N. Main St., Mansfield 5:45 p.m. for a unique personal development workshop where busy people can reconnect with what's important in their lives. Do some breathing exercises, guided meditation and discuss issues important to the group. Cost is $16. For more information check out the website.
4. Tips for sending flowers on Mother's Day
Mother’s Day is one of the biggest holidays for gifts, cards, flowers, candy and phone calls. In 2012, BBB received more than 3,900 complaints against florists. BBB recommends the following tips when purchasing flowers:
Ask about guarantees. Request a written receipt for the order and ask about the business's refund policy if the delivery is late, never arrives or is in bad condition.
Make sure the florist has information on where to reach you.
Check to see that the flowers can still be delivered even if the recipient is not home. Try to plan the delivery around a time that she will be home to avoid damaged or stolen flowers.
Research florists. Check out a florist's BBB Business Review to see any history of complaints, and additional details about the company. Ask friends and family which florist they recommend.
Allow time for shipping and delivery.
For more tips visit bbb.org.
5. High near 69, low around 52Today there is a 70 percent chance of showers, mainly after 1 p.m. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible. There will be patchy fog before 8 a.m., then patchy fog after 5 p.m. Otherwise, it will be cloudy, with a high near 69. Light east wind will become southeast 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Tonight there is a 70 percent chance of showers and a thunderstorm. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. There will be patchy fog before 8 p.m., then patchy fog after 11 p.m. Otherwise, it will be cloudy, with a low around 52. Southeast wind will be 3 to 8 mph.