Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Today will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 77. East wind will be 5 to 7 mph. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. East wind will be around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
2. “Nights in Rodanthe” will be the featured movie at Norton Public Library at 10:30 a.m. Adapted from author Nicholas Sparks' popular romance novel, director George C. Wolfe's “Nights in Rodanthe” tells the tale of a doctor (Richard Gere) en route to reconcile with his estranged son when his benevolent mission is sidelined upon checking into a North Carolina beach-town inn. When the doctor arrives at the inn, he enters into a passionate affair with an unhappily married woman (Diane Lane) who is currently considering divorce. This movie is rated PG-13 and is 97 minutes.
3. The Brockton Rox bring you another installment of Friday Night Fireworks, presented by Atlas Fireworks. Tonight the Rox will battle the North Shore Navigators at 7:05 p.m. It’s also Scout Night at the ballpark, as Boy Scouts can watch the game with the rest of their pack and then camp out on the field after the game while enjoying a movie on the big screen.
4. Macaroni Kid is holding a to support area schools, including Norton. Now through Aug. 5, newsletter subscribers can nominate their child's school for the chance to win a free breakfast provided by local bakeries as well as rafﬂe prizes donated by area businesses.
5. At 9 a.m. check out the the latest installment of the Norton Police Log. For more police and fire stories, click here.