Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Today there will be patchy fog before 8 a.m. Otherwise, it will be sunny, with a high near 87. Northeast wind will reach 3 to 8 mph. Tonight will be clear, with a low around 61. Light and variable wind is expected.
2. Norton Public Library will host three events today. The first is the Music and Movement program at 10:30 a.m. It will include singing, dancing and instrument play for young children and their caregivers, presented by Marsha Wright. This program is sponsored by CFCE. Next the Writer’s Group will meet at 10 a.m. All writers are welcome. Lastly, the Knot Just Knitting group will meet at 1 p.m. in the community room.
3. National Grid is calling on local children ages 7 to 16 in youth organizations and summer camp programs to create energy efficiency themed “gifts” for Energy Star’s anniversary. Organizations can register to participate by visiting www.nationalgridcelebrates.com. The deadline to sign up for a project is July 20, and final submissions must be received by Aug. 3. All of the projects will be entered into a contest to win prizes from National Grid and its partners that include a party hosted by Radio Disney at the winning organization; Boston Red Sox tickets and a chance to attend pre-game batting practice; passes to the New England Aquarium and Museum of Science, Boston; and more. One grand prize winner from Massachusetts and from Rhode Island will win a VIP trip to Boston GreenFest.
4. Norton Pop Warner Football players can pick up their equipment Saturday, July 14. For more information and a coupon to Sports Authority, .
5. For the latest installment of the police log tune in at 9 a.m.