Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Munk Duane Band performance
The Munk Duane Band will perform at Trinity Bar & Restaurant 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. There is no cover for this event.
2. Silk Road performance
Silk Road will rock out at McMahon’s Countryside Grille 9 p.m. to midnight.
3. Beer tasting
Landry Liquors, 134 Central Ave., Seekonk, will hold a free beer tasting and pairings session 4 to 7 p.m. For more information call 508-399-7171.
4. Winter safety tips
The Emergency Care Center (ECC) staff at Sturdy Memorial Hospital and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offer these tips to remain safe and healthy throughout the winter season:
· Dress properly for the weather. Make sure exposed skin is covered, especially in young children because their skin is more sensitive. Wear layers of clothing and a hat to keep your body insulated.
· Learn the symptoms of hypothermia (shivering, exhaustion, drowsiness, confusion, fumbling, and slurred speech) and seek medical attention right away.
· When it comes to driving, never drink and drive, always wear a seatbelt, and avoid traveling when the weather service has issued advisories. Service your automobile’s radiator and maintain antifreeze level. Check the tire tread or, if necessary, replace tires with all-weather or snow tires. Keep your gas tank full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines. Also, keep a winter emergency kit in your car should you become stranded, that includes blankets; food and water; booster cables, flares, tire pump, and a bag of sand or cat litter (for traction); compass and maps; flashlight, battery-powered radio, and extra batteries; first-aid kit; and plastic bags (for sanitation).
· When walking, wear shoes or boots that have non-slip soles.
· Keep driveways and sidewalks well shoveled, and apply sand or rock salt to improve traction. Don’t shovel snow that is too heavy to lift, especially if you have a heart condition or are elderly.
· Wear a helmet when skiing, sledding, skating, snowboarding or snowmobiling.
· Help prevent illness. Maximize your resistance to cold or flu viruses by getting enough vitamins and minerals and eating a well-balanced diet, getting enough rest and exercise, and washing your hands frequently.
5. High near 38, low around 24
Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 38. West wind will be 5 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 24. West wind will be 8 to 10 mph.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something