Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Campanelli Thorndike 40B, Pheeny’s Island and Water/Sewer Meetings
The Zoning Board of Appeals will meet 7:30 p.m. at Norton Public Library to continue the Campanelli Thorndike 40B hearing. Among other things, the Conservation Committee will discuss the appeal for Pheeny’s Island 7 p.m. in the second floor conference room of Town Hall. At 6 p.m., the Board of Water/Sewer Commission will attend an intermunicipal agreement meeting at Mansfield Town Hall.
2. Real estate brokers pre-licence class
New England Real Estate Academy is holding a real estate brokers pre-licence class at 246 E. Main St., Norton. To get the license, you must complete 40 hours of approved classes, verify three years of working as a salesperson, get a $5,000 bond, take the state exam and then you will be licensed on the spot upon passing the exam. For more information visit the New England Real Estate Academy website.
3. KinderCare open house
KinderCare, 515 West St., Mansfield, is hosting an open house 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Free registration will be offered for those that enroll by Feb. 1. For more information visit http://www.kindercare.com/openhouse/ or call 508-337-8600.
4. Teen driver safety tips
Here are five tips parents should teach their teenage drivers from The Parent’s Supervised Driving Program:
- Follow the three-second rule. Don’t follow too closely and look ahead. Make sure you have time to brake if needed.
- No scare tactics. Communicate safe driving techniques and use motivating positive behaviors such as always buckling up.
- Practice in a variety of conditions. Ensure your teen is comfortable with how to use the defroster and low/high beams.
- Keep instructions simple and concise. Avoid using this time to discuss “touchy” subjects such as grades. If your teen appears frustrated, emphasize calmly that mistakes are the normal part of learning. Hold tough conversations about distracted driving and other family rules off the road.
- Practice what you preach. Demonstrate your mutual responsibility by reviewing and signing the “The Safety Pledge” contract with your teen; display it in your home.
Today there is a 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 10 a.m. There will be areas of fog before 11 a.m. Otherwise, it will be cloudy, then will gradually become mostly sunny, with a high near 52. Light and variable wind becoming northwest 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 22 mph. Tonight there will be increasing clouds, with a low around 29. Northwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.