Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Services will be at St. Mary’s Church 8 and 9:30 a.m., at Unitarian Congregational Church at 9 a.m., Trinitarian Congregational Church at 10 a.m. and Chartley Methodist Church at 10:30 a.m.
2. Shoe collection
Nine Lives is collecting gently used shoes at its facility on 84 Hill St., Norton. This is a fundraiser to benefit the shelter.
3. Ayla Brown performance
Ayla Brown, American Idol semi finalist, will perform a special Christmas concert to Benefit La Salette Shrine Attleboro Christmas Festival of Lights. The concert will take place 7:30 p.m. at 947 Park St., Attleboro. Tickets are $15.
4. Better Business Bureau offers tips on protecting your home during the holidays
• Lock doors and windows when you leave the house.
• When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up newspapers and mail.
• Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.
• Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
• Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
• When setting up a Christmas tree or other holiday display, make sure doors and passageways are clear inside your home.
• Be sure your Christmas tree is mounted on a sturdy base so children, elderly persons or family pets cannot pull it over on themselves.
• If you use lights on your Christmas tree, ensure the wiring is not damaged or frayed. Frayed or damaged wiring can cause a fire.
• Place your Christmas tree in water or wet sand to keep it green.
• Never place wrapping paper in your fireplace.
What to Know Before You Answer Your Door:
• Be aware that criminals sometimes pose as couriers delivering gifts.
• Ask for their identification, and find out how the donated funds will be used. If you are not satisfied, do not donate.
• Donate to a recognized charitable organization. You may find information on charities that meet BBB standards at bbb.org/charities.
5. High near 40, low around 24
Today there is a 20 percent chance of snow showers before 9 a.m., then a slight chance of rain showers between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Otherwise, it will be cloudy, with a high near 40. West wind will be 8 to 14 mph. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, then gradually will become mostly clear, with a low around 26. West wind will be 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something