Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Services will be at St. Mary’s Church 8 and 9:30 a.m., at Unitarian Congregational Church at 9 a.m., Trinitarian Congregational Church at 10 a.m. and Chartley Methodist Church at 10:30 a.m.
2. Shoe collection
Nine Lives is collecting gently used shoes at its facility on 84 Hill St., Norton. This is a fundraiser to benefit the shelter.
3. Ayla Brown performance
Ayla Brown, American Idol semi finalist, will perform a special Christmas concert to Benefit La Salette Shrine Attleboro Christmas Festival of Lights. The concert will take place 7:30 p.m. at 947 Park St., Attleboro. Tickets are $15.
4. Better Business Bureau offers tips on protecting your home during the holidays
• Lock doors and windows when you leave the house.
• When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up newspapers and mail.
• Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.
• Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
• Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
• When setting up a Christmas tree or other holiday display, make sure doors and passageways are clear inside your home.
• Be sure your Christmas tree is mounted on a sturdy base so children, elderly persons or family pets cannot pull it over on themselves.
• If you use lights on your Christmas tree, ensure the wiring is not damaged or frayed. Frayed or damaged wiring can cause a fire.
• Place your Christmas tree in water or wet sand to keep it green.
• Never place wrapping paper in your fireplace.
What to Know Before You Answer Your Door:
• Be aware that criminals sometimes pose as couriers delivering gifts.
• Ask for their identification, and find out how the donated funds will be used. If you are not satisfied, do not donate.
• Donate to a recognized charitable organization. You may find information on charities that meet BBB standards at bbb.org/charities.
5. High near 40, low around 24
Today there is a 20 percent chance of snow showers before 9 a.m., then a slight chance of rain showers between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Otherwise, it will be cloudy, with a high near 40. West wind will be 8 to 14 mph. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, then gradually will become mostly clear, with a low around 26. West wind will be 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something