Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Classics and holiday songs with Norton's own Timmy Brown
Tim Brown will perform holiday songs 10:30 a.m. at Norton Public Library. Brown is a 20 year old up and coming country artist from Norton. Stop by for this free program.
2. McMahon’s New Year’s Eve party tickets on sale
Tickets for our McMahon’s Countryside Grill’s New Year's Eve Buffet with the Spellbinders are on sale now. The last day to purchase these tickets will be Dec. 26. A cocktail hour will be held 6 to 7 p.m. with a buffet beginning 7 p.m. with seafood, sirloin and more. There will then be dancing until midnight with a champagne toast, coffee and pastries.
3. Choristers of St. Paul’s Church Boy Choir performance
The Choristers of St. Paul’s Church Boy Choir will perform a special Christmas concert to benefit La Salette Shrine Attleboro Christmas Festival of Lights 7:30 p.m. at 947 Park St, Attleboro. They are a traditional choir of boys and men, focusing on the Mass: Plainsong, Polyphony, Romantic and Contemporary. Tickets to the show are $10.
This is the Shrine’s 59th year of presenting their Christmas light display, which is free to the public. This years’ theme, is descending dove, and features over 350,000 lights, most that have been converted to LED thanks to donations of redeemable bottles and cans.
Tickets can be purchased at the shrine or by calling 508-222-5410.
4. Eye safety tips for choosing Christmas gifts from the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Avoid purchasing toys with sharp, protruding or projectile parts.
- Make sure children have appropriate supervision when playing with potentially hazardous toys or games that could cause an eye injury.
- Along with sports equipment, give children the appropriate protective eyewear with polycarbonate lenses. Check with your Eye M.D. to learn about protective gear recommended for your child's sport.
- Check labels for age recommendations and be sure to select gifts that are appropriate for a child's age and maturity.
- Keep toys that are made for older children away from younger children.
Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 42. North wind will be around 6 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon. Tonight there is a 60 percent chance of showers, mainly after 5 a.m. Otherwise, it will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Light east wind will increase to 5 to 10 mph after midnight. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.