Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. There is a 20 percent chance of isolated showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. Otherwise, it will be partly sunny, with a high near 84. Southwest wind will be 5 to 9 mph. Tonight there is also a 20 percent chance of Isolated showers and thunderstorms before 8 p.m., then showers and thunderstorms after 2 a.m. It will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. South wind will be 5 to 7 mph.
2. Design your own dream journal 1 p.m. at . This program is appropriate for children ages 5 and up, as well as teens and adults. Space and material are limited, so register in advance. This program, which is sponsored by the Norton Cultural Council, will take place in the community room.
3. The Attleboro Area Council of Churches is collecting fans, either new or in good working order, to distribute to the elderly and those in need. Fans can be dropped off at the Council of Churches at 95 Pine Str., Attleboro or call 508-222-2933.
4. Registration for Mass Audubon’s ninth-annual Duck Derby and Ducky Dash 5k is open at www.active.com. The events take place Aug. 17 and 18 at Allens Pond Wildlife Sanctuary. The grand prize is dinner for two, air travel, and two night’s accommodation anywhere in the world. Entry is $10 for one duck, $40 for five, and $100 for 13. Participants are guaranteed a chance at 49 other great prizes, including a $250 shopping spree at Lees Supermarket, another $250 to spend at Sylvan Nursery and a Foursome of Golf at the Allendale Country Club. For more information visit www.massaudubon.org/allenspond.
5. Patch is looking for the best pet, and I want a Norton Patch reader to win. Upload your photos to the and vote for your favorite!