Norton selectmen approved a resolution of concern to state officials for the planned capping of Attleboro Landfill Thursday night.
In the letter, selectmen requested that a new plan be drafted that excludes Norton roads from the truck routes. The former plan notes that 35 trucks a day will travel to the site, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday for about three years. This comes out to about four or five trucks an hour. They would travel from the Bay Street exit off of Route 495 in Taunton, going through Myles Standish Boulevard, Eddy Street, John Scott Boulevard, S. Worcester Street and Union Road. Trucks leaving the facility will follow Peckham Street, Pike Avenue, Route 123, Starkey Street, Holden Street, Main Street, Robert Toner Boulevard and 95 North.
Selectmen also asked that the amount of material be reconsidered.
“The amount of material proposed by EndCap to complete the capping process in accordance with MassDEP standards now consists of 650,000 cubic yards, an increase of 1200% over the previously stated 50,000 cubic yards,” the letter said.
Selectmen Robert Kimball and Town Manager Michael Yunits went to a Mass Municipal Association meeting in Attleboro where they voiced their concerns with the project.
“These towns are scared to death of the future cost of this process,” Kimball said.
Norton’s resolution is a modified version of Attleboro’s. Selectmen asked Mayor Kevin Dumas to forward the city’s so that Norton could use it as a baseline for theirs.
Today is the deadline to submit comment letters to EndCap representative Kurt Schulte at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mark Dakers of the Massachusetts DEP at Mark.Dakers@state.ma.us. A status report is due in December at the magistrate of Mass DEP from Attleboro Landfill regarding the future plans to cap and close Phase B.