Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Today will be sunny, with a high near 83. Northwest wind will be 5 to 7 mph becoming south. Tonight there is a 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after midnight. Otherwise, it will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
2. Come by Winslow Farm Animal Sanctuary 6 to 9 p.m. for the first Egyptian New Year Celebration. Listen to the myths of the Egyptian New Year, travel through their underworld, learn about pharaohs and the building of pyramids and play the ancient game of senet. There will also be vegetarian mediterranean food available. Admission to the event is $5 for children and $10 for adults.
3. Sunday is Family Fun Day at Campanelli Stadium, as the Rox take on the Pittsfield Suns at 1:05 p.m. Kids can play catch on the field before the game, get their face painted, and then have a Rox player read them a story before the action begins. Barn Babies, a petting zoo, can be found near the Kids Zone from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. After two hours of baseball, stick around as kids can run the bases and get autographs from Brockton Rox players. Be sure to bring your bathing suits, because after the game, kids can run through the sprinklers on the field. For more information visit http://brocktonrox.com/view/brocktonrox.
4. Help us get 900 fans on Facebook and Twitter! Spread the word about Norton Patch to fellow Nortonites. Get the latest news updates, see extra photos and network with your neighbors.
5. Later today brush up on the areas most wanted.