Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. The heat wave continues today with a high near 98. Heat index values as high as 102. Northwest wind will be between 6 and 9 mph. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 74. West wind between 5 and 7 mph.
2. The last sign-up for 2012 Pop Warner will be held 6 to 8 p.m. at the Norton VFW. This will also be an opportunity for those who have already signed up to get all their paperwork completed. Norton Pop Warner and Cheerleading is open to all kids up to 14 years old and this year is proud to introduce flag football football. For more information visit Nortonpopwarner.org or visit their Facebook page.
3. Sturdy Memorial Hospital is holding a blood drive partnership with the Rhode Island Blood Center 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the hospital auditorium. People with asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, high blood pressure, or people who have had a heart attack, stroke, surgery, vaccines, mononucleosis or tooth extraction, and are recovered, are all eligible to donate. Donors need to be 17 years old and at least 110 pounds. All donors will receive refreshments and be entered in a raffle. The process takes approximately one hour. To schedule an appointment for the Sturdy Memorial Blood Drive, call 508-236-8555.
4. On a rainy Wednesday, it was by sheer luck that the morning volunteer at Nine Lives saw the blue tote with holes punched in it holding an abandoned cat. To learn about animal abandonment click here.
5. Cambridge mayor Henrietta Davis has proposed a limit on soda sales in city restaurants and stores. What do you think? Take our poll and share your opinion at 2 p.m.