Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. While temperatures will cool down, today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 64. North wind will be around 9 mph. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 39. Southeast wind will be about 6 mph becoming southwest.
2. Registration is open for this year’s Run4NortonHigh to take place Sunday, April 29 at Everett Leonard Park, 6 Parker St., Norton. Registration the day of the race begins 8:30 a.m. The Kid’s Fun Run will begin 9:30 a.m. with the main event starting 10 a.m., rain or shine. Registration fee is $20 for adults and $10 for students. The event will include a DJ, prizes, t-shirts and food. Overall male and female finishers will receive trophies along with runners in age categories. For more information and to register click on the attached PDF.
3. A first aid course will be offered at Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro, Wednesday, April 18, from 7 to 10 p.m. The cost of the course is $35. Subjects to be covered are appropriate rescue techniques, proper bleeding, poisonings, fractures and special situations. It will be taught by certified emergency nurses. It will be held in conference rooms B and C. The hospital is located at 211 Park St. For more information or to register contact the emergency care center at 508-236-7040.
4. Former Norton High standout and current Wheaton College player Sean Ryan will be playing for the Brockton Rox in the Futures Collegiate Baseball League this summer. For more on this click here.
5. Norton Patch now has a blogging platform to let readers have more of a voice on the site. Anyone can blog on countless subjects, such as sports, home and garden, politics and more, so long as it is not an advertisement. If you would like to become a blogger, email Kelly.Mello@Patch.com.