5 Things Sept. 23: Open Houses, Protecting Your Home and More
Your Patch Facts for the day.
Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. High near 73, low around 45
Today there will be patchy fog before 8 a.m. Otherwise, it will be partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 73. West wind will be 6 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Tonight will be clear, with a low around 45. Northwest wind will be 3 to 7 mph.
2. Open house
An open house will be held noon to 2 p.m. at 360 Reservoir St., Norton. This home is listed at $249,900.
3. Explore Doolittle Home
If you are considering options for long-term care for your parents or loved ones, explore the Doolittle Home during an open house 2 to 4 p.m. at 16 Bird St., Foxborough. There will be refreshments, musical entertainment and giveaways. Doolittle Home staff and Board of Trustees will be on hand to answer questions and provide resources to those who may be caregivers.
4. Protect your home from the elements and intruders
Amica Insurance offers five tips to secure and protect vacation homes against the elements – and intruders.
- Unplug all appliances and remove all food, to avoid attracting rodents.
- Drain the water system to prevent pipes from freezing. If the water system is to be left on, make sure pipes are insulated – especially those in a garage, basement or attic.
- Secure windows and doors and inspect for openings.
- Clean gutters and downspouts and make sure the attic is well-ventilated and properly insulated to help prevent the formation of ice dams.
- Make sure the thermostat is set no lower than 55 degrees in colder climates. That will help prevent frozen pipes. (In warmer climates, set the air conditioning to turn on at 85 degrees to prevent damage from high humidity.)
- Put interior and exterior lights on timers or motion detectors.
- Stop mail and newspaper services.
- Hire someone to mow the lawn or clear snow from the driveway.
5. Share your expertise
Norton Patch now has a blogging platform to let readers have more of a voice on the site. Anyone can blog on countless subjects, such as sports, home and garden, politics and more. To start, click here.