5 Things Nov. 22: Thanksgiving Edition
Your Patch Facts for the day.
Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Thanksgiving football games
The Norton High football team travels to Bellingham today for a 10 a.m. game against the Blackhawks. Norton Patch will be providing live updates on the game, starting at 10 a.m. In the NFL, the Lions and Texans will kickoff 12:30 p.m., Redskins and Cowboys will square off at 4:15 p.m. and the Patriots will take on the Jets at 8:20 p.m.
2. What’s open on Thanksgiving?
Forget the eggnog or batteries for your camera? Want to escape from the family and enjoy a beer at a local bar after dinner? Check out this list of what’s open and closed on Thanksgiving.
3. Thanksgiving travel freebies
Today the Massachusetts Department of Transportation is offering free coffee and tolls at many locations. For a list of freebies and MBTA holiday hours click here.
4. AT&T suggests apps, shows and gadgets to make Thanksgiving and Black Friday shopping easy
- iGrill: Don’t overcook that turkey! This great gadget pairs up with your phone or tablet and will alert you when your food is at the right temperature. The iGrill is available at AT&T retail locations or ATT.com.
- In the Kitchen: Recipes and Chefs - Cook with the Food Network’s best chefs. You’ll get shopping lists, recipes, a timer, and unit converter. Everything you need to not burn the apple pie!
- ESPN ScoreCenter: Stay up to date on the traditional football games even if you’re munching in the kitchen.
- AT&T Code Scanner: Get the best Black Friday deals with this app! See a gift you like, but wondering if you can buy it less expensively elsewhere? You can compare prices while you shop, get more information on products, and read reviews by scanning an attached QR code, UPS or Data Matrix barcode
- TGI Black Friday: Aggregates all of the latest black Friday ads floating around.
- Shopkick: With this app, you can earn "kickbucks" while shopping, just for doing things like checking in or scanning items in stores. These kickbucks can be redeemed for instant gift cards, right on your Android phone. Also, Shopkick offers you hot deals every time you walk into a participating store like Target and Best Buy.
- Fitbit Ultra: See how well you nap after Thanksgiving dinner. Monitors sleep and flights of stairs as well as calories burned, distance, and steps taken.
- Aria Scale: This wifi scale wirelessly records your weight so you can track your progress throughout the holiday season.
- Fitbit Zip: Inexpensive, cute, and fun! The Fitbit Zip accurately measures distance, steps, and calories, and you can wage a healthy competition against your friends with the online social aspect.
Today there will be patchy fog before 7 a.m. Otherwise, it will be partly sunny, with a high near 54. Calm wind will become north around 5 mph. Tonight there will be patchy fog after 8 p.m. Otherwise, it will be mostly clear, with a low around 34 and calm wind.