5 Things March 13: Repotting Clinic, MOMS Club and More
Your Patch Facts for the day.
Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Wheaton College greenhouse open house and repotting clinic
Come browse through the state-of-the-art Wheaton Greenhouses and enjoy the blend of technology and beauty. Starting 11 a.m., walk from the rainforest to the desert and then to the temperate environment and see what each climate has to offer to the senses and the plants that live there. See orchids in bloom, cotton on a cotton bush, succulents galore and primitive Cycads. The greenhouses sport automatic shade curtains, fully electronic controls, growth chambers for environmentally monitored plant growth, and a rooftop weather sensor. Bring along a pot bound plant for expert assistance in repotting. Soil and non-decorative pots are available on site. Donations accepted to cover cost of materials.
2. MOMS Club Storytime
The MOMS Club will hold a storytime 10:30 a.m. at Norton Public Library. All ages are welcome, and no registration is necessary.
3. Heroes for Hire Job Fair
Hosted by Newton's Mayor Warren and Employment & Training Resources, this job fair will start 10 a.m. for veterans and 11 a.m. for the public at American Legion Post 440, 295 California St., Newton.
4. Contractor advice from Better Business Bureau
If you’ve decided it’s time to give your home a facelift, or if you are just in need of repairs, Better Business Bureau bbb.org can help you find a trustworthy contractor. Before selecting your next contractor, BBB offers the following advice to homeowners:
- Use BBB.org to find trustworthy businesses. Start your search with BBB Accredited Contractors in your area.
- Compare costs. Get at least three bids from prospective contractors based on the same specifications, materials, labor and time needed to complete the project. BBB’s Request-a-Quote service is free to use and will allow BBB Accredited Businesses to send you quotes via email. Understand variations in price may be associated with higher quality of materials.
- Call for references. If possible, visit a completed project to inspect the quality of the workmanship.
- Check licensing.
- Beware of high upfront fees. Instead, make payments that align with the progress of the work completed.
- Review your contract thoroughly. Make sure it includes all the materials needed to complete the job, an itemized list of all costs involved, any subcontracted labor and a warranty for all work performed.
- Verify insurance coverage. Find out if the company is insured against claims covering worker’s compensation, property damage and personal liability in case of accidents.
Tonight will be mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 54. Light west wind will increase from 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Tonight there is a 20 percent chance of snow after midnight. Otherwise, it will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. West wind will be around 5 mph becoming calm.