Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Today will be sunny, with a high near 95. West wind will be between 5 and 13 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Tonight there is a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11 p.m. It will be partly cloudy, with a low around 67. Southwest wind will be between 3 and 7 mph.
2. 2011 Dog licenses expired Dec. 31, 2011. Licenses not renewed by today will be subject to a $25 citation issued by the Animal Control Officer.
3. The Martial Arts Connection and Attleboro Area Council of Churches will hold a yard sale starting 7 a.m. at St. Mary's Church, 1 Power St., Norton. This yard sale will help feed families in need for Christmas 2012.
4. Former New England Patriots running back Patrick Pass will stop by Campanelli Stadium in to sign autographs, take pictures, and mingle with the fans. The first 1,000 kids through the gates will receive a free Brockton Rox team poster. You will also have the opportunity to win a free tandem skydive and white water rafting trip courtesy of New England Skydive and Three Rivers Rafting. And of course stay as the Brockton Rox take on the Wachusett Dirt Dawgs in a 7:05 p.m. game.
5. On June 28, the court decided 5-4 to uphold the mandate for individuals to purchase health insurance, the most controversial component of the Affordable Care Act. Read what Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren and U.S. Sen. Scott Brown had to say, along with the Massachusetts politicos running for Barney Frank's seat.