Five Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Calm wind will become south around 6 mph in the afternoon. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 58. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
2. Norton Public Library will host a program called Under the Night Sky Planetarium 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Hunt for "moon rocks," make a stellar craft and then climb into a planetarium in the library and learn about the night sky. Explore myths behind constellations and learn how to use
stars for direction and navigation. Space is limited inside the planetarium; there will be three sessions. Be sure to register in advance for one of the three shows sponsored by the Norton Cultural Council.
3. 7-Eleven stores will be giving away free 7.11-ounce slurpees from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. TimeRAZOR, the free hyperlocal events app, will provide its users with 7-Eleven store locations across the U.S. that will be offering free slurpees. Download the app to your iPhone or Android, and it will serve up the closest participating 7-Eleven to your home, work or current location. Users will also receive an alert letting them know the drive time based on current traffic.
4. The Norton town pool, located at Everett Leonard Park, is open Monday through Friday 11 a.m . to 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Check out a photo gallery of fun in the sun at the town pool and upload your own.
5. At noon check out the latest installment of the Norton Fire Department log.