5 Things Jan. 9: Sock Hop, Kindle Workshop and More
Your Patch Facts for the day.
Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Sock Hop Storytime and Kindle workshop
Sock Hop Storytime will be held 10:30 a.m. in the community room of Norton Public Library. Donations of socks will be accepted. No registration is required. At 2 p.m., a Kindle workshop will be held. Get a basic overview on features, tips and tricks.
2. Welcome Wednesdays at New Testament
New Testament hosts tours every Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Meet some of the staff and learn about what goes on within the school. For reservations call 508-285-9771. For more information visit www.newtestamentschool.org.
3. Parkinson’s Disease Support Group
The Parkinson’s Disease Support Group will meet 10 a.m. to noon at Community VNA, 10 Emory St., Attleboro. Held on the second Wednesday of each month, the group is designed for caregivers and their loved ones. Meetings include speakers, refreshments, conversation and support. The group is free and open to the public. For more information call 800-220-0110 or visit www.communityvna.com and click on the Calendar.
4. Winter storm survival tips
Amica Insurance shared the following winter storm survival tips from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in case you get stranded.
- Always stay in your vehicle. You will become disoriented quickly in wind-driven snow and cold temperatures.
- Run the engine for about 10 minutes every hour to provide heat. However, be sure to slightly open a window to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Turn on the dome light at night when running the engine.
- After the snow stops, open the hood of your vehicle to indicate that you need assistance.
- Tie a colored cloth – preferably red – to your door or antenna.
- Be sure to move arms, legs, fingers and toes to keep blood circulating.
Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 48. Light southwest wind will increase to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 30. West wind will be 9 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.