5 Things Jan. 31: Trivia, Norton Playroom and More
Your Patch Facts for the day.
Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Norton Playroom
All caregivers with infants and toddlers are welcome to stop by Trinitarian Congregational Church at 11 a.m. for this drop-in playgroup. Cost is $1 per child covers a snack and craft, with open play and a storytime.
2. Trivia Tyme
DeVincent’s Downtown Cafe will host trivia at 8 p.m. Prizes will be given to the top teams.
3. TOPS open house
TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) is a non-profit weight loss support group held at Immanuel Lutheran Church, 647 N. Main St., Attleboro. An open house will be held 6:15 p.m. for people to learn more about TOPS and the healthier lifestyle you can enjoy. There will be door prizes and coffee.
4. New wave of phishing scams uses Facebook information for personalized spam
Scammers are tapping into the personal data available through Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn to pose as your friends in fraudulent emails. Watch out for these personalized scam messages and take steps to prevent them.
How to Protect Your Facebook Account from Spammers
- Review your security settings. Check out Facebook's information on setting your privacy settings to be sure you aren't sharing personal information with strangers. Look here for information on what can be found publicly in search engines.
- Don't accept Facebook friend requests from unknown people.
- Report scam profiles and other suspicious activity to Facebook by following these instructions.
- Consider enabling login notifications, so you will know when someone uses a new device to access your account.
- When accessing Facebook from public wi-fi in places like hotels and airports, text "otp" to 32665 to receive a one-time password to your account.
- Don't click on strange links, even if they're from friends. Notify the person who sent you the email if you see something suspicious.
- Check the "header" field. Even though a friend's name is in the "from" field, spam email won't be from their email address.
- If you click the link, be sure to run a virus scan on your computer.
Today there will be fog, showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 9 a.m., then a chance of showers between 9 and 10 a.m. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Temperature will fall to around 42 by 5 p.m. It will be breezy, with a west wind 17 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 25. West wind will be 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph.