5 Things Dec. 9: Cupboard of Kindness, Property Auctions and More
Your Patch Facts for the day.
Things You Need to Know Today is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
1. Toys for Tots and Cupboard of Kindness collection
EPOCH of Norton is hosting a collection for charitable organizations Toys for Tots and Cupboard of Kindness until Dec. 14. Non-perishable items may be dropped off at any time. Unopened, new toys will also be accepted for Toys for Tots at any time. For more information, contact Tiffany Michalski at 508-285-3355 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Unclaimed properties to be auctioned
The Police Department will begin using Propertyroom.com to auction unclaimed property. This will allow more people to view and bid on the property as well as assist us with managing department storage needs.
3. Greater Boston Antique & Collectible Toy Show
The Greater Boston Antique & Collectible Toy Show will start 9 a.m. at Holiday Inn, Dedham. The show will recapture your youth with over a hundred years of nostalgia on display. From the 1880s to the 1980s, from cast iron to fine german tinplate. This show represents nearly 100 tables of available childhood treasures and will feature vintage Christmas decorations including paper mache Santas of the 1800s to plastic figural ornaments of the 1950s. For a discount coupon visit www.bostontoyshow.com.
4. Ice dam tips
Amica Insurance and IBHS are sharing some tips to help prevent ice dams and the expensive damage they can cause:
- Clean debris from gutters and drains to allow for proper drainage.
- Make sure the ceiling is airtight, so warm, moist air doesn’t flow into the attic space.
- Increase ceiling and roof insulation to minimize the amount of heat that rises into the attic.
- Use weather-stripping around entryways to the attic, and seal around attic ducts, light fixtures, chimneys and fans to prevent heat from melting snow.
5. High near 53, low around 38
Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 53. Northwest wind will be around 7 mph becoming northeast in the afternoon. Tonight there is a 40 percent chance of showers. It will be cloudy, with a low around 38. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.